Sunday, July 4, 2010

Pain is Good

Why does it seem like so many things that are good for us don't feel very good at all? Back when I was a kid choking down cod liver oil, doing chores, being nice to my sisters when they weren't so nice to me, and a slew of other stuff all seemed to be quite painful at the time. Dad always said such things were good for my character. I was never completely convinced because I always thought pain was something to be avoided at all cost. After all I wouldn't leave my hand pressed to the side of a boiling pot.
Although I am Christian, I love the Buddhist's Four Noble Truths in regard to pain. The first is like when I was young and believed that I would be happier if I didn't have to eat healthy, do chores, or be nice to my sisters because less pain was always better. The problem with this is it always leads to wanting more to make me happy.
The second truth says that we fulfill our cravings, attachments, and selfish grasp for pleasure to avoid pain. We eat poorly, buy expensive stuff, don't exercise, limit our graciousness towards others so we have more for ourselves believing it will make us happier. Typically this is when a person will develop health problems. If you have ever hit your rock bottom be it emotionally or physically (like with cancer, heart attacks, or other ailments) you know this is when we reach the turning point and finally ask ourselves, "Is there something better?"
The third noble truth is a complete release from attachment and a liberation from pain. Or as a Christian would put it, giving it over to God; that fear for ourselves is not trusting in God. I used to worry about not having enough money. I used to worry about the worst case scenarios whenever I had some strange ache or pain. But now I recognize that those worries are conscious messages, and the pain or health problems I have had are unconscious messages directing me to a healthier being. I'll probably spend the rest of my life trying to recreate new patterns I created by my own selfishness, searching for that liberation from pain.
The fourth noble truth is utter extinction of pain.....Christians call that heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment