Thursday, July 22, 2010

Looking at the World through Healthier Eyes

Grandpa's laugh growled like an engine revving up, and I can remember laughing with him watching his big Santa belly shake. Through his black framed bottle cap lenses, dad would smile at us revealing his missing front tooth. They were the most handsome men in the world, at least to me. Can you remember far enough back when everything and everyone in your life was beautiful? Do you remember how good that felt?
Feeling good is about being healthy physically, emotionally, and spiritually.
Physically, I think most people know what to do (or not to do) to be healthy. It is easy to look at a morbidly obese person, or see an alcoholic or drug addict sleeping homeless on the street and shake our heads wondering how they could do that to themselves. But as healthy as I live, I recognize that I have my own weaknesses and do not always make the right choices. I know the only difference between me and that drug addict is the ability to control my choices. In a world where biochemically engineered products marketed as food (sometimes deceptively as healthy food) that is less expensive, often addictive, and more accessible than real healthy food - it can be difficult to make the right choices. I know there are many factors that can contribute to poor choices when it comes to our physical health.
Emotionally, I wonder if the increasing amount of antidepressants being prescribed is a result of not understanding the effect our emotional health has on us physically? or not wanting to attempt to cure what ails us physically by working on the emotional aspect? Emotional health comes from understanding that I am beautiful, and appreciating everyone and everything in my life; the good for just that, and the bad for what I can learn from it.
Spiritually comes from understanding that the world and life is not about me, but about discovering the purpose God intended for me. As I grow older, I have come to believe that although our bodies and minds may begin to deteriorate with the normal aging process, our spirituality can grow if we so choose. We can grow to see the world through God's eyes; and see beauty in everything and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment