Saturday, July 14, 2012

I Used to Think People Like Me Were Crazy

"It's really a wonder that I haven't dropped all my ideals, because they seem so absurd and impossible to carry out.  Yet I keep them, because in spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.  I simply can't build up my hopes on a foundation consisting of confusion, misery, and death"
-  Ann Frank

I believe that if the American government truly wanted health care reform they would eliminate questionable food chemicals from our foods and environment first.  It is well documented that many of the chemicals like aspartame, hydrogenated fats, dyes, MSG, and many more cause confusion, misery, and death.  Instead President Obama hand picked a former CEO of a company responsible for many of these food additives as his czar and head of FDA.

I believe that if the American government truly wanted health care reform they would allow us to know what we were being exposed to.  Instead, many of the additives in our cosmetics like metals and hormones are not disclosed to us. Instead, when 93% of Americans polled feel GMO foods should be labeled, only 35% of US Senators voted in favor of allowing states to require GMO labeling. Instead, immunizations can contain an undisclosed amount of microbioagents, and although mercury has been removed from some immunizations because over the overwhelming evidence it may cause confusion, misery and death in children - most people are unaware that the government only requires mercury to be removed from the immunizations that are mandatory for children (flu vaccines, and some others are not mandatory).  Mercury is used because it is a cheaper preservative, and if you do suffer from any type of adverse reaction to any immunization, the government says you are not allowed to sue or hold accountable the drug company for any negligence. 

I believe that if the American government truly wanted health care reform they would decrease the use of amount of drugs being used.  Instead, the ban for prescription drug advertising was lifted in 1994 and we have seen a gradual increase in prescription use of all types ever since.  Instead, if a doctor were to tell a patient not to take their cholesterol drug (without suggesting another) because their pain and misery may be caused by taking that particular medication - that doctor could be sued for malpractice.  Did you know the "normal" lab values for LDL's have dropped to encourage doctors to put more patients on cholesterol drugs?

I believe that if the American government truly wanted health care reform they would tout the benefits of organic foods.  Instead, President Obama's effort to end world hunger included introducing GMO foods to African countries.  Yes, these crops may have a higher yield but the GMO seeds will not reseed, so although the starving peoples may no longer be dependent on our food rations, they now become dependent upon a company to give them seeds.  Do you remember when you could grow potatoes in a cup? or watermelons from their seeds?   Do you think our farmers struggle because the need for food has decreased?

Indeed, my ideals seem absurd and impossible to carry out.  Every day I witness in my patients the confusion, misery, and even death that results from a system I do not want to be a part of.  My health choices and lifestyle are not consistent with those of most Americans, but I will be forced to pay for and become a part of a system I do not believe in if Obama's health care reform takes effect.  Maybe your beliefs are different than mine, but I always thought America was about having the freedom to make our own choices.

"First they came for the Communist,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Catholics,
and I didn't speak up because I was a Protestant.

Then they came for me,
and by that time no one was left to speak up"   
-Rev. Martin Niemoller

No comments:

Post a Comment