Saturday, March 26, 2011

The Forbidden Food List

If you have ever seen my daughter scouring the shelves in a grocery store intensely reading ingredient labels, don't let the interest fool you....... she's most likely searching for the least healthy food made that doesn't have something in it from my forbidden list, because according to her I make her eat completely abnormal. When I share this story with people the first question they ask is what is a forbidden food list?

It is my own list of things I refuse to purchase from a grocery store. I realize that when we eat out we will be exposed to these products our society refers to as food, but for the health of anyone eating in my household I do not purchase these foods. I refuse to support the companies who make these products by purchasing them. In my opinion if our country really wanted health care reform these items would be eliminated from our food supply.

The next thing people always want to know is what is on your 'forbidden food list'? I could do an entire blog on each item on my list but in effort to keep this simple I'll just give you the list:

*msg (this includes autolyzed or hydrolyzed anything, as well as 'spices' since companies commonly sneak msg into their foods using these terms)

*hydrogenated fat (this includes partially hydrogenated fats)

*aspartame, sucralose, or any artificial sugar

*high fructose corn syrup

*any artificial food colorings or dyes (ie. Red 40)

I could make a much longer list but just ask my daughter..... it is very difficult to find really unhealthy things that don't contain at least one of these items. Of course I prefer organic foods for many reasons but do not have non-organic on my forbidden list.

No comments:

Post a Comment